Open forum

Topic:American Felling Axe

• By Tallman, on 27 March, 2015 at 18:47

I was wondering if anyone has tried The American Felling Axe? Made by GB but isn’t offered everywhere.  My source for GB is Lee Valley Tools, however, they don’t carry it.  I would have to order one.  I would like to take a look at one prior to purchasing.

Thanks

• By E.duBois, on 28 March, 2015 at 11:14

Hi Tall,

The Gränsfors Bruk American Felling axe, I’ve had one here for years and years and in fact just re-ground and honed up the edge this week and now it’s all ready to go. The problem is I just don’t reach for this one that much to be honest, on top of that I’m not particularly sure just what it is your getting at, but then I have my doubts about this whole forum as it is now. You don’t know who is who on here and it all seems a bit contrived by the company to weasel in on customers thoughts and experiences in a way to refine their marketing techniques. The way it seems to be going now makes the effort appear futile and bound for failure but that’s just my skew on the matter at hand, as it stands at this particular juncture in time.

Hope this helps and thanks for sharing lol.

• By Tallman, on 28 March, 2015 at 18:33

What’s your preference in a felling axe?  I’ve been using a Tuatahi and Iltis Oxhead.  I snapped the handle on the Iltis and the grain alignment on the Tuatahi, for the huge price, is not good.  I find that the GB axes are the best quality.  I think Tuatahi would be in real trouble if GB started making racing axes.  My thoughts are if I get the GB American, I’ll have two great felling axes.

• By E.duBois, on 28 March, 2015 at 19:18

I’ll be honest with you, there’s nothing like the feel of swinging a nice double bitted. And I like a little rise there through the central portion of the bit.

• By HogWylder, on 3 May, 2015 at 18:09

Yes, I have the 31″ curved handle and use it all the time. Swinging that axe is a pure pleasure and it makes the work very easy. Especially here in America where have a lot of very HARD wood, it a FINE axe. I chose tools of this nature based on my height and the 31″ is about the maximum for me as I’m only 5’11 tall. That way I don’t smash up the helve. My GB of preference is the Scandinavian Forest axe, that is of course if I’m working with smaller trees. I order all of my GB’s off the web, from either Omaha Knife or Duluth Pack.

• By E.duBois, on 3 May, 2015 at 18:12

Oh great, if I had the keys to the forum I’d block off that last sentence, at least.

• By Jurjen, on 11 May, 2015 at 16:32

The Felling axe is going everywhere I go, it is great to felling and limbing trees. My Tuatahi axes are exclusively for racing and training, too heavy, vulnerable and expensive to use in the wild when working trees for a day.

Felling an American Oak goes like this:

I find the edges of GB a little to convex so I flatten it of to have a deeper and more straight cut.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in