Open forum

Topic:Axe handle blanks

• By E.duBois, on 5 April, 2015 at 19:28

These past few days I have taken some time to prepare more axe handle blanks, I guess around 10 or twelve or so in this batch. Ash wood from the bottom end of a huge tree, the rest of that tree we’ll slab up the coming week but that has less to do with axes. All in all, some pretty decent potential handles in the end.

• By Scotforester, on 5 April, 2015 at 21:28

The faster Ash was grown the stronger it is

• By E.duBois, on 6 April, 2015 at 11:22

The old-timers around here say to choose the male ash and not the female. In fact I cannot be so choosy and take what I can get my grubby hands on. Given the choice I would take neither the fast grown nor the slow but the one in-between. Good as ash is, and it’s my primary handle wood, it’s second rate and I don’t mean second in relation to hickory, ash and hickory being more or less comparable. The premium number one wood for strength, flexibility, toughness, resilience and all that crap is by far wood from the European Nettle tree. Man oh man what a handle that wood makes for a choppin’ and a splittin’.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  E.duBois. Reason: Automatic speller, (which I hate so much)
  • By Trausti, on 19 April, 2015 at 21:21

Hæ E.duBois are you selling some of them relly need on for Rönnquis axe,.?..

Trausti,.

• By E.duBois, on 21 April, 2015 at 17:29

I will always respond to direct requests Trausti. I would sell them but it’s just wood, don’t you have wood there?

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in