Open forum

Topic:Axe head Identification

• By tkknight, on 30 September, 2015 at 17:42

Good Morning,

I recently picked up and old axe head at a sale. The only markings on it are “Made in Sweden” and it has the small circle logo on it but inside the circle the only thing I can see is the letter “H”. Can anyone tell me anything about this axe head.

Thank you,

Tom

• By E.duBois, on 6 October, 2015 at 17:40

Hults Bruk

• By tkknight, on 13 October, 2015 at 22:56

Thank you for your input. I am wondering about the logo as all i can find for Hults Bruks logo is a circle with HB in it. This head has the circle with only the H.

Did they use different logos?

Thanks, Tom

• By E.duBois, on 15 October, 2015 at 16:52

I don’t know. It could be Hultafors but they use HB circle as well. Send up pictures, making it easier on me.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  E.duBois. Reason: Well if we want to go into it, possibly they drop the B which just indicates a kind of legal status like inc. or co. for exported intended shipments just to avoid confusion which intact as we can see it has had the opposite effect than the intension may have been to begin with. I don't know, If it was exported to USA or something probably it was one of the bigger forges, or lets say a forge with big production capacity so this would indicate Hults Bruk of Hultaforse
  • By E.duBois, on 17 October, 2015 at 23:26

You will see something familiar here.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  E.duBois. Reason: The story goes like this: Hults, it's the forge and then it gets bought out by Hultafors Group, big corporation which possesses one old-time forge which produces quality axes but then cutting a lot of corners off in the production along the way
    Attachments:
  • By E.duBois, on 17 October, 2015 at 23:35

You should make the effort to see if you are lucky enough that that axe you got has an insert of high carbon content steel for a cutting edge.

• By joe0898, on 8 November, 2016 at 23:29

I found this axe recently and was wondering if anyone here could identify it.

Attachments:
  • By Traditional Tools, on 19 January, 2017 at 18:30

There seems to be conflicting opinions.  The about picture is from Hults Bruk 1958 Catalog.  However after talking to one of their smiths I’m told the Circle H was used as far back as 1910.

• By Ola, on 3 April, 2017 at 20:20

Hi!

I have a similar question. I have gotten an old Gränsfors axe that I would like to have identified and also recommended a handle to get for it. Are here anyone that can help me with that?

Thanks in advance!

• By Ola, on 6 April, 2017 at 20:13

Hi again!

I just found out. It’s a Gränsfors axe called Record. From what I understood it was quite close to the “Liten skogsyxa” that’s available today. It’s from the 50s.

• By lewismorgan, on 21 May, 2017 at 10:21

This is one stuff that I also known to be from a reputable resources and indeed effective and strong.

Cheers,
    Lewis|http://eatmywords.com/about/our-secret-sauce/

• By dmcgee, on 22 November, 2017 at 22:29

Hello!

I am hi-jacking this thread to seek some knowledge about a vintage Gränsfors Bruks axe head that I inherited my grand father. I cleaned it as best as possible and I was hoping that you could provide me with some more informations. The “Made in Sweden” is barely visible but the GBA is clearly legible. Their seems to be another set of markings: 10-2 1 2 1/4

-What was the purpose of that axe pattern?
    -What could be a date of manufacture?
    -What would have been the original handle length?

Cheers!
    Dominic from Canada

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  dmcgee.
  • By JVaughan, on 4 February, 2018 at 13:51

Hi,

I recently purchased an axe head and was hoping to get some history on it. I read that Gransfors made axe’s for a few South American countries around the 1940’s and 50’s but was not sure if they still do or if this axe head is that old. It is in really good condition.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  JVaughan.
  • By JVaughan, on 4 February, 2018 at 13:57

I’m trying to upload pictures but the website will not let me, any help on how i can do that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in