Open forum

Topic:Best oils to protect the hickory handle?

• By ST_odinn, on 18 May, 2015 at 15:28

What would be better for the axe handle, boiled linseed oil without additives or raw linseed oil? Also perhaps Tung oil with no additives?

• By E.duBois, on 19 May, 2015 at 16:01

Boiled linseed oil is an inferior material conceived out of an ethos valuing convenience and economy above all, including quality in whatever way you want to define that word. Boiled linseed oil is for house paint and making glazing putty and there its worth is even doubtful. I wonder if those advocating it so fervently even know about it or are just echoing a convention widely adopted, praising its application but doing it in ignorance. Do they know anything about wood finishing? Do they know why they use it over alternatives other than that they read on internet that it was used by others equally uninformed? Well, Odinn, at least you have the guts to inquire after some basic understanding, so, you got that going for you.

• By ST_odinn, on 25 May, 2015 at 00:45

Then what do you suggest to use?

• By E.duBois, on 25 May, 2015 at 10:48

I suggest putting nothing on your handle, but of the ones you mention, warm pressed linseed oil.

• By gunnar, on 29 May, 2015 at 16:27

ST_Odinn If you use frequently your axe me too suggest to put nothing.

Because the natural wet of the hands and time make the handle protected and this give more charm to the axe.

• By Rooster, on 8 July, 2015 at 09:47

I use boiled linseed oil to seal the raw handle of a new axe or a newly replaced handle…It has a nice feel and does not cause my hands to stick to the haft…

I hope that helps..

Peace, Rooster 🙂

• By Marknewell, on 8 July, 2015 at 12:58

What an insulting answer-but so brilliantly crafted. You must not be American. Nice, in a way, that noone appears to have picked up on the message between the lines.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in