Axe care

Topic:How should the axe be stored?

• By axewomen, on 12 March, 2015 at 11:07

How should the axe be stored? Temperature? Humidity?

• By Emma, on 12 March, 2015 at 11:14

The axe should be stored in a dry place at normal room temperature and humidity. If the teperature is to high, the head can drought and lose its grip to the handle. If the humidity is to high, the axe can easily rust.

Best regards,

Emma Carlsson.

• By E.duBois, on 17 March, 2015 at 18:32

Well, “normal room temperature” it’s a bit vague at best and “temperature is to high” uumm, to high compared to what I have to wonder.

The axe gets stored in the unheated shed or barn or space that has no climate interference mechanism, though if you live in town you got one more problem, and well, if rust is also a problem to you there are two solutions, wait and it will eventually attain a natural coating, and use your axe more, #2 being the best solution.

• By Tallman, on 27 March, 2015 at 18:40

I have kept my axes in the garage (which is heated in the winter to 9 degrees C). Cool and with about 45 % humidity.  Our winters are too cold to store the axes outside.  I don’t want frost to penetrate the steel and splinter when I’m felling trees or splitting wood.  The axes are moved to the wood shed in the Spring to Fall.  I lightly sand and thinly coat with Linseed once a year. Its worked for me so far.

• By E.duBois, on 2 April, 2015 at 17:10

I was never real keen on using linseed oil as a protection against rust. Well I don’t think it is. In fact when I do use it on handles I am particularly careful to avoid getting any on the steel part. Linseed oil will dry or oxidize and when it does it will crack and that’s all that’s needed for moisture to get in and when it gets in under the layer and is trapped there the potential for rust gets increased. Now I know all the kids from the forums are just loving to put the linseed oil on their axes too, but I don’t. Camilla oil is what I do use if I have had the axes out in the rain. Rust is not a problem for me somehow and my axes are kept in quite a damp old barn just hanging there like that.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  E.duBois. Reason: resonation
    Attachments:
  • By Trausti, on 22 April, 2015 at 00:10

No no

use it not store it (-:

• By E.duBois, on 12 May, 2015 at 11:40

Maybe the question should be read, “How should the axe be (RE)stored?”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in