Open forum

Topic:"PH" letters

• By Krisztian, on 12 December, 2015 at 10:56

Hi, I’m asking about the “PH” letters an my new Wildmarksbeil.. Who is the smith? I can find this sign on the official GB website. Thank you!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Krisztian.
  • By Creature Comfort, on 12 December, 2015 at 16:12

Hello Krisztian,

I may be able to help. When you received your GB ax, was there a pamphlet attached titled the ax book. Hopefully so. Inside you will find a group picture f the folks who built your ax. Align the picture with the names provided and would should be able to see who P H is. I have two such ax books somewhere, that I will dig out if you aren’t able to come by it. Lots of useful in it, at least for me. Probably  the most surprising was the way cords are traditionally stacked, in a circle, with the cut end of the split log facing up to facilitate seasoning, and the smaller pieces that aren’t to be stacked ( referred to as rounds  ) are then chucked into the middle of the circle. I found that interesting.

• By Krisztian, on 12 December, 2015 at 21:43

<p style=”line-height: 18.0pt;”><span lang=”EN-GB” style=”font-family: Georgia, serif;”>Hello Creature Comfort,</span></p>
    <p style=”line-height: 18pt;”><span lang=”EN-GB” style=”font-family: Georgia, serif;”>thank you for you answer! I have this book, even that’s my problem, that this sign is not there.. I hope it’s not a fake axe.. That’s why I’m asking here by the experts. I bought it online, for 75,- EUR. The three-pronged iron wedge is also missing.</span></p>

<p style=”line-height: 18pt;”><span lang=”EN-GB” style=”font-family: Georgia, serif;”>The axe book is very good, lot of useful information’s. I have seen before this traditionally way of staking the cords, but never used it.</span></p>
    <p style=”line-height: 18pt;”><span lang=”EN-GB” style=”font-family: Georgia, serif;”> </span></p>

• By Creature Comfort, on 12 December, 2015 at 22:22

Truthfully, I don’t see a Wildsmarkbeil in the online catalog  for GB. If that’s a fake, they went through a lot of trouble. Looks like the real deal, forged and sharpened and they sent the book. I’m no expert tho! I’m sure someone will give a satisfactory answer. If it’s a good cutter and well balanced and length and takes and holds a good edge, you’re ahead of the game unless you’re a collector!

• By Krisztian, on 12 December, 2015 at 22:45

Wow, I’am sorry for the answer befor, it’s not easy to read it.. 🙂

I bought it on Amazon, but the English name is ” Wildlife Hatchet”. I have made with it some feather sticks, and prepared some wood for fire. More than 10 cm dick hard wood was a problem for it, I don’t want to make batoning because i’ve read that this is not for this hatchet or? Have you maybe experiences with the WH? I’m not a collector, but when I give it after some years my son, I don’t want to say, that here is a good replica for you.. 😉

• By Creature Comfort, on 13 December, 2015 at 04:12

Hey Krisztian,

The Wildlife Hatchet! I was thinking that’s what it meant. Would you say that the WH meets the specs that are spelled out in the book? 3 ” face and 13 1/2″  hickory handle or close to it for the handle and weighs in at a pound? Also the grain of the handle should run in the same direction as the long part of the ax eye. The handle should have a soak in hot linseed oil and not feel waxed.  I can understand the desire to own the genuine article for a passing down to family’s generation, not to mention the 20 year guarantee. I have the large splitting axe and the small forest ax, haven’t used a WH. Normally I have excellent results on live green and dead dry wood with the SF. But I have found dead dry hardwood that felt like I was trying to chop stone and the SF was having difficulty. I look for more suitable wood when that happens. If your dealing with downed dead hardwood, I would think that sawing 1 to 2 foot logs and splitting then might be more productive. The WH will split dead dry wood pretty well from the YouTube videos I’ve seen. And if you’re making feathersticks, that’s awesome! Anyway, you could email Gransfors and they will tell you what you have there. I need to start shopping axes! I really want the Scandinavian next and found a place here in the States that has them for $135 ( still )…..Then ebay for the great old classics and rehab a few. Let us know what you find out from Gransfors unless someone here knows P H.

• By Krisztian, on 13 December, 2015 at 19:10

Hey,

Have you buy your Scandinavian?

I’ve modified with paracord my hatchet today for a better use.. it’s much comfortable for me to do fine work (easy carving) with it. 2 hours runs so fast by doing it, that’s amazing.  I like my WH very much. Very easy and enjoyable to work with it, and that’s the most important thing for me.. 🙂

• By kapten, on 5 May, 2016 at 12:25

The smith of your axe patrik hansson, its not fake

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in