Open forum

Topic:Is this faulty fit of handle?

• By Willowbow, on 13 February, 2016 at 11:14

<span style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px; line-height: normal; text-align: justify;”>I just made a purchase for an Small Forest Axe from a local shop in Lithuania. It came by post and I made inspection of it and found that handle is not fit tight enough on the back of the head in underside. I wonder if that is an issue or it is normal and so I don’t have to worry about it. Here is a few pics that I have taken. I put a toothpick in that gap and it goes about 2 cm deep. Might go deeper if I insert an thin wire, but the top  side of axes eye is all tight and good. Head is not loose, but I hardly used it for any serious task yet.</span>

• By Ziggy, on 7 April, 2016 at 14:04

I’m no expert but I’d say with hand forging you might expect some variation from exact dimensions.

If it hasn’t been moving don’t worry about it.

• By rob, on 8 February, 2019 at 19:07

I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased my first axe (small forest axe) and have a similar gap between the head and handle. Just curious how yours has held up. Is this an acceptable tolerance?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  rob.
  • By TorstenP, on 26 March, 2019 at 20:19

I apologize, but have not found a way to start a new topic – and this is similar.

My handle on my wonderful maul has become loose over the winter. It was stored inside with only 20% humidity.

I am hoping the low humidity caused the wood to shrink. If I soak in a bucket of water to expand the wood, is there any chance this will work to tighten?

Thoughts from people who know best please.

• By deanrsnowiii, on 4 April, 2019 at 23:30

Absolutely do not ever soak it in water. It is a temporary fix and will be way worse when the water evaporates

go buy boiled linseed oil and soak the head of the axe in the boiled linseed oil.  Then wipe the whole handle with boiled  linseed oil.

so  basically buy the linseed oil, find a small container that fits the whole head in plus maybe an extra inch. Fill the container up with it, let it soak 24 hours plus, then save the excess linseed oil to wipe the handle down, then dump the excess back into your container, proper maintenance is to lightly sand your handle, cover in boiled linseed oil, wait ten minutes and wipe excess off, repeat every day for a week

• By BrekPatonJacobson, on 13 April, 2019 at 21:35

I have owned the splitting maul for 16 years and it’s been fantastic! Only recently in the last few years the head has become quite loose over winter and eventually tightens up by mid-summer. I’d like to know what the best way to tighten it during the shrinking season is though, as I feel scared to swing it when it’s loose. Is it recommended to drive more wedges into the wood or fill the gaps with epoxy? (I’m guessing not the latter)

Any advice is appreciated!

• By BrekPatonJacobson, on 13 April, 2019 at 21:40

Does the linseed oil solve the problem? Does it expand the wood fibers like water but stay that way? What happens when the head works loose again later and the wood doesn’t absorb more linseed oil because the previous treatment cured?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in