Using an axe

Topic:Plastic Felling Wedges

• By pmmain, on 16 May, 2015 at 08:43

I understand the prohibition against driving steel wedges with an axe.  Does this also extend to plastic felling wedges?

• By E.duBois, on 19 May, 2015 at 15:47

Axes, not for pounding.

• By Rooster, on 8 July, 2015 at 10:09

Many fallers use larger felling axes with a nice heavy poll for driving plastic felling wedges…and plastic does not dull a chainsaw if it accidentally touches the wedges while cutting…

Peace, Rooster 🙂

• By E.duBois, on 10 July, 2015 at 09:54

OK, felling is one place where wedges and axes are used and perhaps, who knows, many fellers do it like that. This tells me one thing for sure, that some do not. Why some do and some do not, or let me put it this way, why many do and some do not might then be a question looking for an answer.

Drawing any conclusions based on the form of the poll can never give a good reason for making it a hammer.

• By Rooster, on 14 July, 2015 at 04:54

I use a 4 lbs. felling axe with a heavy poll on a 20″ handle….this configuration is often called a “fallers axe”…I use the axe to clear brush from the base of the trees and to pound the plastic wedges….using the same axe for multiple uses enables me to bring one striking tool into the woods…I’ll be getting an aluminum sheath/pouch for my belt and carry it “hands-free” be hind me…Peace, Rooster 🙂

• By E.duBois, on 14 July, 2015 at 20:48

The critical point is the cheeks first the poll second. A mushroomed poll is relatively easy to fix. By hardening the poll in combination with plastic wedges only one potential problem is addressed and the primary consequence made even worse;  when you deform the cheeks your problems are deeper. This is the perspective needed when taking up the question at hand. Looking at the relationship of the cheek thicknesses and the mass on either side, bit and poll, on any functional axe should make it clear enough that the blunt force of pounding with the poll is a bad idea and the practice should be put to rest despite what may be taken widely as conventional or colloquial wisdom.

Per Stålberg forged his axes with a double poll. Beefing it up there was not intended to make the axe a more effective pounding tool.

When the farmer brought his axe, damaged from pounding with the poll, to Johan Skog for repairs, Skog looked at it, handed it back and said. “I don’t work on wedges.”

• By Rooster, on 15 July, 2015 at 06:43

Most of the energy generated when driving plastic felling wedges is absorbed by the wedge as is forced into the kerf, this is much different than striking a steel splitting wedge into a firewood round…and if the plastic wedge gets stuck and stops it’s forward progression, most fallers stop pounding on it and add more wedges to the kerf …the idea is to let the wedge do the work and save energy when out in the woods…

Peace, Rooster 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in