Open forum

Topic:Trying to ID this Swedish broad axe found in Canada

• By scrapman, on 13 May, 2015 at 07:35

I recently came across an old broad axe used for beam building. It has a standard scissor grind with a hand carved handle that has an offset curve. The head is in decent shape but a little rusty. It is obviously hand forged with only the initials HB. There are no other markings of any kind that I can see. I will be doing a restoration as soon as I can remove the handle without damaging it. The handle is already loose but in great shape. I would like to know the age of the axe. Am I correct in assuming that the lack of information stamped on the head indicates that it is an older axe? The newer ones seem to have circles around the letters and weights stamped on them. Any help is appreciated.

• By E.duBois, on 14 May, 2015 at 23:29

Is yours like mine Scrappy

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  E.duBois.
  • By scrapman, on 15 May, 2015 at 13:37

No. Where yours has what I would call a concave curve between handle and cutting edge, mine is convex. Also, the eye on mine has points (that are damaged) on both upper and lower ends. I will try to get some photos up today.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  scrapman. Reason: picture file is too big
  • By scrapman, on 15 May, 2015 at 13:55

I am having a hard time with the photo. I have cropped it down but keep getting oversized messages. Any advice?

• By E.duBois, on 19 May, 2015 at 16:10

You got to use the img code or the html code and only one, (I’m not sure which just now), will bring your photo on over to the Gränsfors Bruk website forum address.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in