Open forum

Topic:Why not Norwegian

• By everettoakes, on 6 April, 2015 at 20:59

<span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>I would like to pose a question to Gransförs and to anyone else who may know. The question being, why has Gransförs never dove into making many Norwegian patterned axes, other than the basic carpentry axe they do? Norwegian axe patterns are just as varied and unique as any other, if not more so, but seem unfortunately to have dropped by the wayside among the larger axe manufacturers. Gransförs manufactures Swedish axes (of course), but also American, and many others including replicas of old Viking finds in Denmark. But where is their closest neighbor represented? There are still some good old norwegian smiths who are making them and rediscovering how to make them, Terje Granås, Øystein Myrhe, Norheimsmia, to name the few. I petition Granfors to think about making them also. </span>

<span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>Just to wet the appetite, or should I say whetstone here?, I’ll post up some nice examples of different Norwegian hewing axe patterns. Maybe Gransförs will find some inspiration in this….</span>

• By E.duBois, on 6 April, 2015 at 23:07

The choice of axe types that Gränsfors has offered before it modernized , or re-branded itself, has been fairly broad over time it seems, though I don’t pride myself on deep knowledge of this company’s past. That they pander to an American market should surprise no one. The only wonder is that they don’t do a Japanese style of axe since the company seems particularly popular there.

As I understand, the Norwegian axes are very bound up in regional styles and I think we are talking about a time span of hundreds and hundreds of years when looking at what some of these blacksmiths like Granås & Myrhe ‘n the others pump out, very specialized and aimed at particularly small niches. But I hear you when it comes to the difficulty of getting hold of a good Norwegian axe, and I don’t mean ØYO.

• By Trausti, on 19 April, 2015 at 21:14

Hæ E.duBois photo No:4 shows prof the story whear Jóhan jónson got the shape for Hjärtumyxa axe

i allways think that hy got it from the Red Distric in Amsterdam (-:

• By Trausti, on 19 April, 2015 at 21:16

Hæ E.duBois wher didt you got photo No:4  From,..?..

Tornysson,.

• By E.duBois, on 21 April, 2015 at 17:34

Hej Tornysson,

Those photos must have come from Everett not me. But yes, no. 4 has great sexuality.

• By E.duBois, on 15 October, 2015 at 11:22

Everett, I don’t know if you know it but the new WWA website based on your suggestion is up and running on the lines. You can only get access after you have accepted the invitation and get your name on the exclusive list and I don’t see your name there yet, just so you know and three are no misunderstandings.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  E.duBois.
    Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in